This is a contracted position with the opportunity for future full time employment.
The Pallas dietitian primarily provides individual virtual nutrition counseling and education to improve the performance and health of competitive and recreational athletes and active individuals.
Primary responsibilities include counseling individuals on daily nutrition for performance and health; interpreting the latest scientific evidence and applying it to practical sports nutrition recommendations; tracking and documenting outcomes of services; providing nutrition education for groups; and maintaining professional competency and skills required for professional practice.
Essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Individual Nutrition Counseling & Nutrition Education for Groups
- Advises athletes on nutrition for exercise training, racing, and recovery (match nutrition to training phases and goals), weight management, hydration & fueling, and supplementation.
- Evaluates and analyzes dietary practices, body composition, and energy balance (intake and expenditure) of athletes in the context of athletic performance and health.
- Counsels athletes on achieving and maintaining a level of body mass, body fat, and muscle mass that is consistent with good health and good performance.
- Provides as needed personalized meal and snack plans to help achieve performance and health goals.
- Develops and counsels in hydration protocols.
- Addresses performance nutritional challenges, such as food allergies, bone mineral disturbances, gastrointestinal disturbances, iron depletion, and iron-deficiency anemia.
- Advises athletes on optimal nutrition for recovery from illness or injury.
- Evaluates nutritional supplements for legality, safety, quality, and efficacy; monitors use of appropriate supplementation.
- Collaborates with the individual’s family, physician, coach, and other health professionals, as appropriate.
- Develops resources to support educational efforts.
- Educates in food selection and preparation.
- Documents nutrition services and evaluates the effectiveness of nutrition strategies towards meeting desired outcomes.
- Develops and delivers nutrition education presentations, challenges, demonstrations, or events on various topics related to nutrition for performance and health.
- Maintains dietetic registration and continuing education requirements.
- Stays up-to-date on current food, nutrition, and health issues and research related to sports nutrition.
- Interprets metabolic testing and sweat testing data for appropriate athletic fueling and hydration plans.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities)
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN) with active registration by the Commission on Dietetic Registration of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
- Board Certified Specialist in Sports Dietetics (CSSD) or Certification in Sports Nutrition (CISSN) preferred, but not required.
- Proven experience working with clients.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and counseling skills.
- Ability to accurately assess and evaluate energy balance.
- Knowledge of eating disorder/disordered eating signs and symptoms.
- Comprehensive knowledge and application of interviewing and education techniques.
- Self-motivation and ability to work independently, excellent time management, organizational, and record-keeping skills.
- Knowledge of ergogenic aids and nutritional supplements.
- Competence with nutrient analysis, word processing, and Google suite.
- Compliance with Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA).
- Knowledge of rules and regulations of athletic governing bodies: e.g., National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA), World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA), regarding banned drugs and restricted substances.
- Knowledge of measurements of resting metabolic rate, energy expenditure, VO2max, and lactate threshold.
- Knowledge of endurance, strength, and outdoor athletics & a passion for sport and fitness.
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org